TO PROVIDE HOLISTIC EDUCATION IN A SAFE, DISCIPLINED AND EFFECTIVE TEACHING AND LEARNING ENVIRONMENT.
- LEARNER FIRST
- ACCOUNTABILITY AND COMMITMENT
- RESPECT FOR ALL INVOLVED IN THE EDUCATION
- DEVELOPMENT AND RECOGNITION OF PEOPLE
TO BE A SCHOOL THAT PURSUES EXCELLENCE IN EDUCATION ,IN SERVING ITS COMMUNITY AND COUNTRY.
Who We Are
It is a daunting task to record the history of any institution. It is cliché’ to state that this applies to Naidooville Primary School. Many a persons have contributed to the legacy of this fine institution and to the lives of the many who have passed through it’s portals. The individual contributions were not altogether recorded seemingly because much of the work was done out of a deep concern for the people, rather than personal glorification. This historical overview serves also as a tribute to the vision, foresight and charisma of those who have ensured, against seemingly insurmountable odds and the injustices of apartheid, that this community be equipped with an institution of learning.
The following brief/historical overview, is proudly presented, through recollections and submissions of many who have shared in the life of Naidooville Primary.
Pre 1953 there existed an annex to Naidoo Memorial School classes were conducted in a single classroom in a dwelling on the property of Mr. I.E Bayat. It was situated about where the present “Welcome to Craigieburn” sign stands. Concerned members of the community initiated the building of a school. Mr. S. Naidoo became the first principal and teacher. At this time the official enrolment was 45 – 23 boys and 22 girls. Later that year, Mr. S.P Naicker came as a locum and Mr. N.R. Bhimma has an assistant teacher. Land was then made available by the late Mr. R.C. Naidoo family in 1953. In 1956, the school was officially informed of its name change to Naidooville Primary School. Through the vision of community stalwarts, three more classrooms were gradually added. As the land was not yet transferred to the community, no grant was received from the National Department. Labour was voluntary provided by builders M.K. Govender, Mr Sunthanum and the Rambally brothers. The builders progressed through the generous donations and voluntary labour of many members of the community. Later was added to this four classrooms building an office and stockroom. There also existed a soup kitchen which sometimes doubled as a staff room.
The dedication of the staff in these early years is foundational to the success of this institution. From large classes, the platoon system, the lack of basic amenities and facilities, outdoor classes that braved varying weather conditions, etc., this school had succeeded in producing students of caliber. School Fees was low and the grantee Mr. Tej Naidoo assisted in paying for electricity, a caretaker, and general maintenance.
During these early years, there was no DSB Grounds. Naidooville Primary was a hub of activity as it served the community. Five -a- side tournaments, Easter Gala and other sporting activity, under the auspices of organizations like the willing hands, were held on the Naidooville Sports ground.
In about 1978, community based organizations like the Naidooville School Improvement Committee, Naidooville School Education Committee, and the Craigieburn Local Affairs Committee initiated the improvement and subsequent replacement of the old school four classroom school with the current building. As the land was not yet transferred to the community, the Education Department refused to spend state funds to upgrade the school. Through the prowess of people like Mr. Kista Nair, Mr. krish Moodley, Tony Kasipersad (Chairman of Education Committee) and others involved in the Naidooville school Improvement Committee, “a clause” enabled the land to be transferred to the Republic of South Africa, and hence the Education Department.
The new building project, under the principal ship of Mr. R.B Chetty commenced in 1987 and the first four classrooms were occupied in the same year. Prayers were offered by various community religious organizations at a school opening function. The entire project duly completed and was officially opened in 29 October 1988, by Mr. A.K Singh, then Chief executive officer of the Department of Education. The old building was subsequently demolished.
The new building had occupied a large portion of the sportsfield. The school desperately needed a sports field. In 1990 a motivation was made to the department that sportsfield was essential to service both the school and the community. Mr. Krish Moodley convened a meeting that was chaired by Mr Narend Singh (MP). Representatives from all the main stakeholders were present. The construction of the present sportsfield began in 1995 during the pricipalship of MR F.H A Raiman. The keys of the completed school complex was handed a year later to Mr. R Bhuddhu who was then principal.
It is 2003- the year of Naidooville Primary School’s Golden Jubilee! 50 years of fascinating history has gone by, Mr N. Naidu is at present the principal, with the dedicated staff of 15 educators and 563 pupils. The staff, and community recognize that we are the custodians of the past and thus must strive for excellence in the present as we forecast for the future.
Today, in the site if the old school ground, a fig tree, with its roots embedded deep in the ground, still stands tall and proud, as a symbol and tribute to the legacy and a people and a community.